Find-a-Grave Virtual Cemeteries

Friday, February 28, 2020

Genealogy Tips: Searching for Your Ancestors Using Nicknames

By Gena Philibert-Ortega

Try Nicknames

Do you have a nickname? Maybe your nickname is based on your actual given name. Perhaps it has to do with a characteristic or physical trait you possess. You may have earned your nickname playing sports or in the workplace. Sometimes a nickname may make absolutely no sense. In my case, my paternal grandfather gave me a nickname shortly after I was born based on his miss-hearing of my actual middle name. That nickname would make no sense to anyone (and no, I won’t tell you what it is) but it was always the name he used to refer to me.

A person can gain a nickname for all kinds of reasons, including: ease of pronunciation; to distinguish between two family members with the same name; and in some cases to call out a negative trait.


A very informative feature from GenealogyBank. Continue reading at: https://tinyurl.com/ua45sxy