Find-a-Grave Virtual Cemeteries

Friday, February 28, 2020

Finding a Stronger Sense of Self through family history



I Spent a Month Uncovering My Family History, and I Found a Stronger Sense of Self

As part of a monthly resolution challenge, I wanted to learn more about my family's past and how it could shape my future.

BY KELSEY HURWITZ
Feb 21, 2020

This article is part of WomansDay.com’s series on mini monthly resolutions and challenges. The first challenge is all about discovering and recording your family history.

An idea seems to persist that family history, like the study of history in general, is mostly about the discovery of names and dates. But tracing your family history should be about so much more than filling in the branches of a family tree. For genealogist and historian David Allen Lambert, it’s all about the dash. “The years on someone’s gravestone are when they lived,” he told Woman's Day. “The dash represents how they lived.”

Additional story at: https://www.womansday.com/life/a30928747/mini-monthly-resolutions-family-history/